Real Techniques Limited Edition DuoFiber Collection

I'm going to assume if you're reading this blog that you all know about Samantha Chapman's Real Techniques makeup brushes by now! Since they came out, the brushes have pretty much taken the makeup/beauty community by storm. They are budget friendly and excellent quality and I use at least one or two real techniques brushes every time I sit down to do my makeup. I was very excited when I heard that a new limited edition set of brushes came out--of course I had to find them!
The set is, as you can see, all duofiber--these types of brushes are typically used to give a lighter application of products. In this case though, they're not completely since both bristles are synthetic. It comes with a face brush, contour brush, and eye brush. I think the limited edition design is nice and simple, just like the rest of the Real Techniques line.


All three brushes are extremely soft.
Face brush: not densely packed at all so it's not great for packing on product. It is nice for a light dusting of setting powder though and the softest of the three brushes. I tried using it to blend foundation and it was way too floppy and just could not blend it. It's also a bit too big for blush (for my cheeks!).
Contour brush: more sturdy and dense than the face brush. I actually really like this for both powder and cream blush--it deposits just the right amount of color and blends nicely.
Eye brush: I am kind of a blending brush junkie, so I always love to have fluffy tapered blending brushes in my collection. This one is a nice one for blending eyeshadow in the crease and also blending out cream eyeshdaow. I did find it was a tad too prickly to blend under eye concealer with though.

Here's a few comparisons to some of the brushes already in the Real Techniques line.

First the face brush compared to the blush brush:
Duo-Fiber Face brush on the left and Blush brush on the right
As you can see, the blush brush is much more densely packed and is dome shaped. I prefer the blush brush overall just because I love the shape and find it to be completely multipurpose--I use it for blush, bronzer, and setting powder. The duo fiber face brush is flatter and I feel the shape lends itself mainly to setting powder (for me personally!) I have more info on the blush brush HERE.

Now the contour brush vs. the regular contour brush:
Duo-Fiber Contour brush on left and Contour brush on right
The regular contour brush is bit bigger and slightly more domed. I think they are pretty interchangeable, though I think I do prefer the duo-fiber one. The new one works cream blush into the skin perfectly and it picks up the perfect amount of blush thanks to the different bristles.

Lastly I compared the Mac 286 (which is another double fibered blending brush) with the new real techniques eye brush, since I don't really own many Real Techniques eye brushes to compare it to.
Mac 286 on left and Duo-Fiber eye brush on right
The Mac 286 is a bit fluffier, which I prefer when blending eyeshadow since it diffuses the color a bit more. On the whole though it's a nice brush for getting precise color into the crease or blending the edges of cream eyeshadow! It's always a good one to have on hand. For concealer, I much prefer blending it out with the Real Techniques Setting brush HERE.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the brushes. My favorite is definitely the contour brush--I've been getting more into cream blush and highlighter and this brush just picks up and applies the right amount. I imagine it would work nicely for a chiseled cheek bone contour but I usually prefer to contour with a bigger brush (like the blush brush or a Mac 138). I also think the eye brush is a good one to have if you wear eyeshadow--I love having these type of brushes around since I use them so much when doing my eye makeup.
I do have to say I was a bit disappointed with the face brush. When I first saw it, I thought the shape looked like the old Sephora 55 pro airbrush brush, which I LOVE for foundation--but this Real Techniques one is much too floppy to use for much of anything besides setting powder or a light dusting of bronzer all over the face. I think it would be better if the brush bristles were a bit more dense.

This limited edition set is apparently only available for a year. So you have a pretty long time to decide if you want to pick them up or not! They retail for $19.99 and I bought them at Ulta. The bargain hunter in me got them for probably half off thanks to a promotion that was happening plus Ulta coupons--so it really turns out to be a great deal in the end. If you are in need of some new makeup brushes for lightweight, buildable application, then you my want to check these out. Overall though, i don't think it's a must-have set if you already have brushes you like simply because I am not crazy about the face brush. Because of that, I'd only recommend getting them if you are not paying full price! :)

What do you think about this limited edition collection?? Are these brushes you would want in your makeup bag?

Comments

  1. I have the face kit and the huuuge powder brush and am so happy with them. I really want the expert face brush, stippling and now this set too :) love the white handles! xx

    Visit The Other Side Of Cool

    Tweet me! @othersideofcool

    ReplyDelete
  2. no problem! let me know what you think if you get them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEFINITELY get the expert face brush! It's my absolute favorite brush for foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to buy them but now thinking to get their regular core-collection face kit.. Thanks for sharing doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a great set to start off with! the buffer brush and contour brushes are particularly nice from that set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a must have! real techniques brushes are always amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, extensive review. I am not too familiar with the beauty world as my own make-up knowledge is limited, but I appreciate this type of article that goes at length to describe the pros and cons of a product by someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to make up.

    Brandy
    willbakeforshoes.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. help me get to 300 followers :)

    xx rorolovesbeauty.blogspot.com

    PS AMAZING BLOG :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really want to try these!

    Great review! :)

    Kelly xx

    http://thebellelavieproject.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so many good things about these brushes, but never used them myself. They do sound so good though xx

    http://heroineinheels.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely review...I am tempted to try some out :)

    Following you now :) Cheers!

    http://redraoalice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the limited edition white ones they look a little bit more spohisticated if a brush can look sophisticated but you know what i mean. I want these desperately.

    beautiesunlocked.blogspot.co.uk

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for sharing this review :) it's very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. great review,love brushes :) http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! Love this post :) I'm your newest follower! I've just started a new beauty blog and it would mean the world to me if you could check it out and let me know what you think.

    Thanks so much!
    www.daisydear.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving your blog, I am a big fan of the real techiniques range, over time have collected the collection But I am dying to try these

    looking forward to the next post !!

    would love if you could have a little look at my blog

    http://greatlittlefinds.blogspot.ie/

    judith xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really want to try these cos I have a couple of the other brushes and love them. I just started following your blog and love it maybe you would like to check mine out and follow back?

    www.ourlondonwardrobe.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. These brushes are amazing!Your blog is lovely!!!! Would you like to follow each other on bloglovin' ? xxx

    Gleaming Spire // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Real Techniques face brushes I really want to try these! We have just started following you blog and love it :) Maybe you would like to check us out and follow back if you like our blog as well? www.ourlondonwardrobe.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stephanie Beltre CamberoOctober 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

    Nice Post, love your blog! ♥ Hope we can follow each other
    keep the good work
    www.thesillyfashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. need new brushes so bad x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey! I tagged you in my "This or That" tag! Check it out! It's a really great simple tag! http://missbeautyinsider.blogspot.com/2013/11/this-or-that-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. jenirad@blogspot.comDecember 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM

    Fluffy fun I love

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really want to try these brushes! I love the other RT brushes. I
    have recently found you blog and I'm glad that I did. I'm your newest follower
    and really look forward to more posts from you. If you like, please check out
    my blog as well at www.ourlondonwardrobe.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this for both powder and cream blush,the color really blends good,looks so pretty!
    Full in love with this limited edition collection,must get these brushes to my makeup bag
    http://me-poppy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is CRAZY GOOD! I love it!

    I'm having a giveaway over on my blog that I want to invite you to!
    http://20stampslater.blogspot.com/2014/01/favorite-things-giveaway.html

    Have a GREAT week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post!

    Best, Julita

    http://crimson-moon2000.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really wish you would start posting again, this was my favorite beauty blog to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bronze Eyeshadow Swatches: Mac Tempting, Urban Decay Smog, Nars Kalahari, & Inglot

Nars Galapagos Swatches and Thoughts

Estee Lauder Pure Color Blush: Lover's Blush